- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, PUT YOUR MATE FIRST. I shudder to hear a woman say: “Oh, I put my children ahead of everything!” You should put your husband first, knowing that the greatest gift you can ever bestow upon your son or daughter is the security which comes from knowing that mother and daddy love each other.
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, LEARN TO EXRESS YOUR LOVE TO YOUR MATE. Love is never out of style or out of date. There is no taboo on tenderness in any culture. A man or woman needs to be loved no less at 50 than on his or her wedding night.
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, LEARN TO LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS. It is a fine thing to do with, BUT it is even better to be able to do without successfully! Refuse to live beyond your income or to become a compulsive buyer. Piling up debts has a way of breaking down a marriage.
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, THEN DO NOT MARRY A MATE WITH THE IDEA OF REFORMING HIM OR HER. It has been my studied conclusion that very few people are ever changed by the simple action of walking down a marriage aisle.
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, THEN LEARN TO COMPROMISE WITH EACH OTHER. Never forget that the sweetest words ever to fall from human lips are: “I’m sorry; please forgive me.”
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, THEN SEEK AND FIND COMMON GOALS AND DIRECTIONS. We live in a day when each does “his own thing.” The wife going in one direction, the husband the other, with rarely the twain meeting. Do things together!
- IF YOU DO NOT WANT A DIVORCE, THEN REJECT THE INTERFERENCE FROM IN-LAWS, PARENTS, AND RELATIVES.