Garland M. Robinson
How long were the first six days of January, 1996? When you discover the length of that period of time, you will also have determined how long the six days of creation were in Genesis chapter one. Days are divided into 24 segments called hours. A day has always been a day — no more, no less.
However, those who wish to cause disbelief in the Bible would have us believe the six days of creation were long eons of time made up of millions and millions of years! Incredible! Absurd! A DAY has never been anything other than a DAY. This attempt is made in order to harmonize the THEORY of evolution with Bible TRUTH. It cannot be done!
The “day-age theory” (the belief that one day in Genesis one was millions of years long) is shot-full of problems and cannot possibly be considered by any logical thinking person. Here are several reasons why the days in Genesis one were 24 hour days just as we measure them now:
- There is no reason whatsoever, from the context, to understand them otherwise. Search the Bible from beginning to end and there is absolutely no evidence to view them in any other way than we measure them now — 24 hours each.
- God said he created ALL things in six days and rested on the seventh. “For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested on the seventh day” (Exodus 20:11). This is used as our standard of measuring time today. One week is based on those seven days in the beginning. Did God lie to us about what he did? NO!! It’s impossible for God to lie (Hebrews 6:18).
- The Hebrew word yom (day), is defined for us in the context. “And God called the light Day and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day” (verses 5,8,13,19,23,31). The day was divided into both an evening and a morning just as today! No long periods there!
- When the word yom is used with a number (such as 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day), it always means a 24 hour day. The word occurs over 100 times in this manner and always is 24 hours in length. There’s no exception here!
- When the word yom is used in the plural (days) it always means 24 hour days. Exodus 20:11 says “For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is.”
- If God wanted us to understand he made everything over billions of years, he could have used words which indicate it. The Hebrew words “olam” and “dor” both indicate an indefinite period of time. He could have used either of these words, but did not. He used the word which describes the length of time he took, “yom” — DAY. If God did, in fact, take billions of years to make the earth but tells us he only took six days, that would make God a LIAR! God does not lie (Titus 1:2).
- God made “lights” to divide the day from the night (verse 14). These lights, sun and moon (verse 16), were for “signs, and for seasons, and for days , and years.” The sun was made to measure a “day.” If a day were millions of years, what then was a night or a year? You can’t answer!
- If a day were millions of years, then “plant life” poses a problem. Plants were created the third day (verses 11-12), the sun the fourth day (verse 14). Plants need sunlight to survive. Also, some plants must have insects for cross pollination, yet the insects were not created until the sixth day (verse 24). How could the plants have survived millions of years without sunlight and/or insects for pollination? This is a grave insurmountable problem for the theistic evolutionist!
- The age of Adam makes “geologic ages” impossible. If one day represents millions of years, as this reckless theory says, think about this: Adam was created on the sixth day (Genesis 1:27), lived the rest of that day, all of the seventh day and at least a part of the eighth day (Genesis 3). Will evolution believe Adam was millions of years old?
- God used the 7th day of rest as an example for Israel to keep. Because God worked six days and rested the seventh, Israel was to work six days and rest the seventh (Exodus 20:9-11). Was Israel to work millions of years multiplied six times over and then rest millions of years as God did? They would have had to if evolution be true!
Why would anyone believe in and try to defend such a preposterous and ridiculous theory? And, it’s only a theory, not a fact. There’s not a fact contained in it! Proponents of the “day-age theory” care nothing for the evidence and instead, choose to walk in their own foolish ways. “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools” (Romans 1:22).